Monday, November 9, 2009

Pink or Brown?

Children are not colorblind. That simple fact has led to some interesting discussions on the obvious skin-color differences in our family.

Lincoln noticed that he has a "brown Daddy" from at least age 3, but a short time ago he was wondering what color he is. I tried unsuccessfully to tell him he is white (a color distinction that really doesn't make sense...no one is really white except maybe albinos). That was confusing. Then I tried telling him he is peach. That didn't work either. He thought I was talking about the character Princess Peach from MarioKart. So I resorted to pink. This earned me an indignant "Thanks a lot, Shari!" from my pink-is-not-for-boys husband, and a squeal of delight from my pink-is-the-best-color-ever son. Lincoln was quite satisfied with that answer. "Yeah, Mom, I'm pink!"



Recently Lincoln said, "Mom, you're pink and I'm pink. That's a match! Daddy's brown. Is that a match? Naah, that's not a match." Then a thought struck him. "Mom, what color is the baby, pink or brown?"
I said, "Well she might be pink like you or maybe she'll be brown like Daddy. What color to you think she'll be?"

Lincoln thought, "Uhh..." then said with a big smile, "I want green!"

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on that green baby. Ellis also likes the color pink (in fact, it's the only color that she really knows). If it is slightly red at all, it's pink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute!! Man, what a sweetheart. I miss you guys. Love the idea that maybe our baby will be green. I am thinking kinda purple. That is what Zack was when he was born. Ok, he was mostly purple. But he is definately PINK now. hehehe

    ReplyDelete